A married relationship licence shows the individual doing your wedding (the wedding officiant) you have actually met most of the appropriate needs to be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be found from the registry agent workplace.
A registry representative dilemmas a 2-part document. The top part is a Registration of Marriage together with bottom level could be the wedding licence.
The complete document (enrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) must certanly be directed at the wedding officiant which will be doing your wedding. This might be a document that is legal should be held in good shape and never folded since it is forever archived.
Conditions for a wedding
Banns (postings or notices in a church) are not acceptable as opposed to a married relationship licence.
There are not any citizenship or residency demands.
There is absolutely no time frame that have to pass involving the date a couple comes in Alberta while the date a wedding licence is given.
Bloodstream tests are not essential.
A wedding licence is legitimate for three months through the date it really is released.
A marriage can take put the exact same time a wedding licence is granted. There isn’t any waiting time.
An Alberta wedding licence is just valid for the Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take spot in Alberta.
You cannot apply for an Alberta marriage licence if you are currently married.
Whenever obtaining the wedding licence, you need to:
- Use together during the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may use, talk to a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm more than one affidavits
- Its an offense to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Offer your information that is personal the total names and birth places of the parents (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a married relationship licence, you can’t:
- Be under the influence of a alcohol or drug
- Be linked to one another as being a grandparent, parent, kid, sibling or grandchild, by entire bloodstream, half blood or use
- Either individual getting hitched is hearing, message or aesthetically weakened
- Either person getting married is an adult that is assisted a court ordered co-decision maker or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
You both needs to be 18 years of age or older.
You can apply for a marriage licence if all your parents and legal guardians consent to the marriage licence being issued, unless other conditions apply if you are younger than 18 years old. Seek advice from a registry representative for complete details.
You cannot marry in Alberta if you are younger than 16 years old.
That person may provide their birth certificate or immigration document – the other person must have appropriate ID if one of many few don’t have appropriate ID
You simply cannot be currently hitched (either to one another or some other person).
Your legal marital status must be among the after:
- Evidence of divorce or separation is required; the divorce proceedings document provided should be the document that is finalfor instance, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A divorce proceedings document that claims a wedding is dissolved in X length of time is certainly not appropriate as it is impossible to understand in the event that documents that are final filed or even the breakup had been contested through that time.
- Divorce proceedings documents which are not in English needs to be translated; talk to a registry agent for interpretation demands.
- A death certification associated with dead partner is maybe not required.
- Never been hitched
- No status that is marital are essential.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment happens to be provided via a court, the individual’s marital status reverts back into exactly what it absolutely was before that annulled wedding took destination. The last marital status may need to be proven. As an example:
- As soon as the marital status before the annulment is divorced, proof divorce proceedings needs to be provided as well as a duplicate regarding the court ordered annulment
- Once the past status that is marital never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document will become necessary
When a wedding had been annulled, a duplicate associated with the court ordered annulment needs to be provided. Spiritual and annulments that are tribunal perhaps perhaps not accepted, only court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents which are not in English needs to be translated. Talk with a registry representative for interpretation requirements.
Whenever getting a wedding licence, both regarding the individuals that will be engaged and getting married must certanly be proficient in English (since appropriate papers are now being finalized), otherwise an interpreter is required. Whenever an interpreter is necessary, it’s your obligation to supply one.
The interpreter needs to be:
- 18 yrs. Old or older
- Proficient both in English and also the language needing interpretation
Once the registry representative worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient into the other language, then that registry agent worker may function as interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few trying to get a married relationship licence cannot interpret/translate for every other.
There clearly was a $40 federal federal government cost for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge solution cost. Provider charges differ among registry agents.
Just how to use
Step one. Make certain you meet the criteria to use for a married relationship licence
The wedding must certanly be place that is taking Alberta over the following a couple of months.
Before using, be certain to as well as your spouse that is intended are.
Action 2. Gather your articles
Bring your ID that is acceptable with to obtain the wedding licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for instance breakup papers. Contact a registry representative, find-bride they are able to verify exactly exactly just what papers you shall require.
Step 3. Visit the registry representative workplace
Head to a registry representative together with your spouse that is intended ID and papers, thereby applying for a wedding licence.
Once you use
A wedding licence is given whilst you wait.
If you fail to have most of the information and papers required, the method may be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence towards the ceremony and provide it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document extremely closely for errors whenever you will get it and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Will have mistakes corrected straight away.
Prior to the ceremony occurs, mistakes could be corrected by a registry representative.
Following the ceremony happens, mistakes needs to be corrected by an amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any information that has been supplied as soon as the wedding licence ended up being given.
Relate solely to Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory holiday breaks) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 prior to the telephone number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
When it comes to deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll TTY that is free 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5